And They Lived Happily Ever After.....


My love affair with the concept of marriage began, like most little girls, with the story of a princess meeting her prince and living happily ever after.  Admittedly, I was a naïve 12 year old that devoured Barbara Cartland and Nancy Drew novels indiscriminately. I was ready for a fairy-tale.

And boy did I find it in the guise of the late Princess Diana.

If, like me you find yourself in your early 40’s you will remember the pictures of their early relationship, the scandal that her see through skirt caused  and the terrible faux pas she made by wearing  THAT black dress to their first official engagement. But she could do no wrong and the whole world went mad for a glimpse of the shy girl with the big blue eyes that captured not only the heart of a Prince, but the heart of many a nation.
South Africa was starved for any interesting news. Any joyful tiding.

 Any bit of love or happiness in any form whatsoever.

We were just starting to find our feet after the emergency years, army haircuts and sanctions, that left us not only at the hands of the censors (what we could and could not see, read or listen to) but also starved of international news that was uplifting and not  just the constant reprisals and accusations levelled at our government. Constantly.

She was a breath of fresh air. Not only in the lives of the dusty royals. But in our lives too.

I bought every magazine that had a mention of her. I cut out pictures and made album after album of her. I knew what she wore and  when and had my favourite outfits. I watched as she grew and changed and slowly witnessed the swan emerging from under the Sloan ranger that she was destined to leave behind.

My favourite shoes were a gold metallic pair of “Lady Di’s”, oh; the day my Mother said I could buy them was one of my best days ever.

I loved those shoes and wore them with great pride and determination. With everything.

On the day of the wedding I was allowed to stay off school and go to work with my Mother. The whole office watched the pomp and ceremony and when they kissed on the balcony, well, there was not a dry eye in the house.

I continued to watch her. Love her. Believe she could do no wrong, but alas the cracks were there and slowly the chinks started to show in the armour.

What we all forgot was that they were human too. They had feelings, jealousies, and silly habits, just like the rest of us.

How we all truly thought it would work is beside me.

When asked if she loved him on the day of their engagement, Diana said ‘of course!’ When asked the same question, the Prince of Wales said’ I guess so, whatever that means”

It was a sign right there and she should have run for the hills. But she was only just 21. A baby, and in love with the future king of England. Who was in love with somebody else?

Had it been today, he would have been able to marry Camilla, without much fuss. But way back then, Diana had to be ‘pure’ and to marry a divorcee was out of the question after his uncles abdication.

A lot has been said about Diana and all her dramas and romances and mistakes.

She remained beautiful to me.

When she died so tragically in Paris I was working in England.

It was devastating. A personal blow.
Our princess had died.

I went to the funeral and waited alongside the other thousands of heartbroken people that had been touched by her in some way.

The silence was deafening.

You could hear the clippity clop of the horses hooves as they came nearer and nearer.

And then the boys and their father passed, with the hearse behind and somewhere in the crowd a woman wailed ‘ Diana, Diana’ and all around me the sobbing became audible.

Today as I watched the wedding of Diana’s son to Catherine Middleton, I wondered as millions around the world wondered I’m sure, about Diana.

I wondered how William was feeling and if his mom would have liked his choice in life partner.

His bride was poised and graceful and exuded confidence throughout the ceremony .On the balcony they stood relaxed in front of thousands of well-wishers waiting to see them seal their love with a kiss.

I think Princess Diana would have approved. Wholeheartedly.

I think perhaps the royal family have come a long way. Kate is older, wiser and hopefully knows her own mind but more importantly, she IS loved by William.

He has her back.
So I send every good wish to them, the new Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, Prince William and Princess Catherine.
May they be happy, may they be loved and may we as the inquisitive onlookers into their lives, give them space to breath and grow. To learn and to let them be human.

Let us not repeat the mistakes of the past and forget about human fallibility.
And they lived happily ever after…….
Written by Z. Boucher-Myers
http://justnotliketheothers.blogspot.com
http://thebholder.blogspot.com


MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected TopOfBlogs Afrigator

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you, for visiting The Helderberg Basin Blog